Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Love of Weeds

Spent most of this morning researching lawn weeds, getting to know them. I will probably need to write an article on my findings, called A Weed Gets a Promotion or something, because after my research, I'm tempted to get rid of my lawn! But for now, I will tend the fescue (Festuca arundinacea). Ironically, while working to keep it as my lawn, I have also been weeding out fescue in my perennial borders, and this is not an easy task! This cool season grass has a root system that is extremely developed which enables it to do OK in our warmer climate, except during the worst summers. To say the roots are developed is a joke of an understatement, though. Pull on it from the top as you will, but you'll have no more luck than if you were trying to pull out a young Sweet Gum tree! No, I finally had to dig this weed out, and then I was left with a large pit. I wonder what I will plant in it?

No comments:

Post a Comment