Friday, March 23, 2012

Houttuynia, Cosmos & Swallowtails


How could I have done it? It has been a few years now since and my mistake will likely exist a thousand years from now --I planted in Houttuynia in my garden. Yes...I know.

On a more optimistic note, how exciting is a mass of Orange Cosmos! This plant has never failed me, and I have introduced it to several friends who all agree to its excellence. Besides a long bloom period in which it attracts those beautiful Tiger Swallowtails, it likes our soil –un-amended.

-------

Notes:
Houttuynia cordata can be ruthless and should never be planted in garden soil in North Carolina unless it is physically restricted or the gardener needs a huge space filled. It is nearly impossible to eliminate without removing the entire border. On a position note, writers on Dave's Garden suggests that it makes an excellent pond plant and has medicinal benefits, though I don't plan to be imbibing any soon. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2164/#b

Orange Cosmos (Cosmos sulphureus) grows well in the Triangle area of North Carolina, and likely has a large range. It self-sows, but I don't consider it noxious because the plants are so easy to remove. The seed is easy to collect in late summer if you wish to use it elsewhere next year. It flowers all season until frost, though it is good to cut back a bit after the first heavy wave goes to seed, to stimulate more blooming late in the season. Collect the seed before you cut it back.

The scientific name for the Tiger Swallowtail is Papilio glaucus.

No comments:

Post a Comment